Thursday, November 6, 2008

Recommended reading

Hey, everyone, it's Val here. It's been a long time since I've blogged...I've been too busy eating Chad's yummy food!

2 great books that I just read....

1. Walking the Bible by Bruce Feiler . This book is incredible. It wasn't what I was expecting. It is about a man who travels the Middle East, trying to trace the Old Testament and the actual historic sites where the events in the Bible took place. It is a good "tour guide" to the region, but it is so much more. The author is Jewish, and he discusses the bigger questions about why the Bible is still important to us today.

2. Better by Atul Gawande. A doctor discusses issues of medicine and life. Very readable and inspiring, especially if you are in the healthcare field...but even if you're not.

1 book that I'm reading...

Listening to Prozac by Peter D. Kramer. This Harvard psychiatrist gives a very interesting history of how psychiatric medicines such as anti-depressants came to be. He grapples with the questions of what mental illness is, and how do we decide whether to use a medication or not for psychological problems. It is a long book, but a page-turner, as was Walking the Bible.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Val those sound great! I might have to pick up a couple of them!! Thanks!! I hope you are doing well - congrats on selling house #1!!